PDF lesson plan
In planning for Black History Month, there are many people whose struggles, achievements and inspirational stories could be shared with our children. Floella Benjamin is certainly inspirational, but has the added advantage of having recorded her experiences in a beautifully written and accessible book, Coming to England.
This lesson uses drama to explore some of Floella’s experiences, while giving the children the opportunity to discuss and express their views on discrimination, inequality and injustice.
Students will learn
- Discrimination, and the effects of discrimination on individuals
- How to collaborate with others
- How to communicate learning in relevant ways
- KS2 history – explore the Victorian era through steam trains
- Climate change lesson – develop geography, history and science skills
- Local history – KS1 lesson plan
- Viking Boy: The Real Story – Books for topics KS2
- KS1 history – six lessons on the first flight for your ‘event beyond living memory’ unit