Standon Bowers Outdoor Education Centre
Photos of Standon Bowers Outdoor Education Centre
What will students see and do?
A provider of outdoor experiences, Entrust Outdoor Education believes that every young person should be encouraged to venture into nature more and explore the world around them.
One of its sites, Standon Bowers, is surrounded by the beautiful English countryside and has been a home-away-from-home for young people since 1885.
It is steeped in history and old-time charm but continues to offer outstanding outdoor learning through more modern facilities, including a state-of-the-art BMX track designed by Olympic specialists.
The company offers five learning programmes at the site:
• Three- or five-day adventure residential: Pupils enjoy an action-packed itinerary filled with adventure activities such as archery, bushcraft, BMXing, bridge building, climbing, caving, high ropes, offsite excursions, low ropes, mine exploration and scrambling. They can then finish the day by toasting marshmallows around a roaring campfire.
• Twilight Explorer (two-day residential): Pupils will learn about shelters, fire lighting techniques and camp cooking over an open fire. In the evenings, they then participate in either a night walk, songs by the campfire or a drumming lesson before retiring to the dormitories for a peaceful night’s sleep. Pupils can also craft a keepsake using nature’s bounty to take away with them.
• Wilderness Academy: Working in teams, pupils will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in nature, camp in the woods and take part in a range of exciting activities. These include shelter building, fire lighting, navigation, learning wilderness first aid, tracking games, making camera traps and water purification. Evenings will be spent sitting around the campfire, sharing stories and reviewing their experiences.
• Rescue One Zero: Working as members of an elite crisis response team, pupils will spend the day tackling a series of fun, practical team-building tasks and problem-solving activities. The day offers an exciting, fast-paced combination of challenge, learning and adventure.
• Flint and Fire: This programme focuses on primitive living skills and nature awareness. Pupils will have the opportunity to take part in fun, practical activities that explore how man created fire and what tools he used to hunt, gather food and survive.
Teaching resources provided
Get in contact to discuss your curriculum objectives and the sorts of learning resources Standon Bowers Outdoor Education Centre may be able to provide.
Minimum and maximum group size
No limit stated – get in touch to discuss.
Details of risk assessment
Entrust Outdoor Education does not publish its risk assessments or operating procedures to help protect its clients from legal repercussions if an incident were to occur and reduce the need for excess paperwork. The risk assessment contains technical terms and acronyms that are specific to outdoor education and may not be fully understandable to all. Get in contact for more information.
Don't miss our downloadable A-Z guide on completing a risk assessment
Formerly the Standon Boys’ Farm Home, established by the Waifs and Strays Society in 1885, Standon Bowers is steeped in history. Despite this, the site boasts modern, state-of-the-art adventure facilities that will challenge and engage your students while still infusing more traditional values.
Get in contact for a quote.
Standon Bowers Outdoor Centre is located in Standon, Stafford.
Standon Bowers Outdoor Centre, Weston Lane, Standon, Stafford
Book your school trip to Standon Bowers Outdoor Education Centre
For information on booking your school trip to this venue, click below.