Paying specific attention to verbs, the purpose of this unit is to support the creation of a more-academic style of writing from students.
Suitable for KS3 and 4.
This resource includes a scheme of work document and 10 PowerPoint files:
- Verbs and tenses
- The historical present tense
- Verbs for analytical writing
- Modal verbs and modifiers
- Poem analysis – Strange Fruit
- Language elements to include
- Modal verbs sheet to complete
- Peer- and self-assessment form
- Peer assessment
Dan Ingman is an English teacher and lead practitioner at Mulberry School for Girls, East London, and coordinator of the Fetch Me a Pen academic writing project for Tower Hamlets schools. You can find more of his resources on his TES page, and follow him on Twitter at @IngmanDan.