Scheme of work PDF Student booklet Teacher's guide
These resources were produced by Year 9 students and staff at St John’s RC Comprehensive School, Gravesend.
As a starting point, students used the names on their local war memorial, carrying out research to produce biographies of soldiers from the local area.
With the help of local historians and surviving family members they used a variety of sources during their investigations including local newspapers, census returns and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website.
Also part of the project was a group visit to Cambrai.
The teachers said that the project forged powerful links between the students and the young men they investigated, not much older than they are, who volunteered to serve their King and Country one hundred years ago.
- Teacher’s guide PDF
- Scheme of work PDF
- Student booklet PDF
Canterbury Archaeological Trust was formed in 1976 to undertake excavations, research, publication and the presentation of the results of its work to the public. Download more of its resources here or on its website at canterburytrust.co.uk.
- Whose History? – Knowledge audit tool for curriculum development
- A Historical Overview of the American West – Supporting Resource for KS3/4 History
- Discovering archaeology and the Bronze Age – Subject knowledge and Teachers’ Guide for KS2/3 history
- The Sword Burials – Archaeology activity for KS3 History
- The History of Kent scheme of work for KS3