This lesson is designed to help students to develop their reading and speaking skills through engagement with authentic and current resources; identifying topics that genuinely matter to them, expressing their own opinions, and respectfully challenging points of view with which they disagree.
The ultimate goal for learners is to be able to understand, think, talk and later, write, about worldwide issues.
This module, which will be developed across several lessons, will also provide students with the opportunity to think about how their lifestyle choices can impact the future of our planet – giving their language learning a real-world context and thus, deeper meaning.
Why teach this?
Grab your students’ attention and inspire them to learn about and change the world around them!
Key curriculum links
KS4 students should be able to understand, discuss and write about world issues in the target language, and be able to apply their knowledge of modal verbs and complex structures.
Aline Cossu is head of languages at New Rickstones Academy in Witham, Essex.
- Proofreading strategies for GCSEs – KS4 MFL Lesson Plan
- Using the Future Tense MFL Resource for KS3/4
- How to Incorporate your Target Language KS3/4 MFL Guide and Support Sheet for School Spanish
- MFL Adjective Agreement Resource for KS3
- KS3 MFL Lesson Plan – Improve Students’ French By Presenting A Weather Forecast