Y9 can be a difficult time to capture students interest in drama. This lesson is firmly cemented in their own understanding of the world. The setting is rooted in their daily experiences and that in itself empowers them with a sense of empathy and contextual understanding.
I always start the topic by setting high expectations of maturity from the students, and ensuring they recognise that the drama draws on real life events. However, I also temper this with an assurance that they are creating a fiction.
This is a transition lesson. It builds upon students’ prior skills based knowledge acquired in Y7 and Y8 and then allows them to develop their own narrative using these skills.
- KS4 career resources from the NHS
- Contextual Home Pack – Art and Photography
- KS3 drama lesson plan – Explore fame and celebrity culture through dramatic performance
- ‘Simple Script’ by Alison Chaplin – A Short Original Script for KS2/3 Drama and English Lessons
- KS4 art & design lesson plan – Experiment with self portraits using everything from recycled materials to Photoshop