This six-week series of art lessons is focused around the topic of self-portraits.
Pupils will find out about a range of famous artists and will learn how to draw faces using correct proportions. Throughout the lesson series, children will create a number of artworks, including a ‘split face’ portrait, transient portraits from objects and a Picasso-style face focused on colour.
They’ll also get to grips with shading and the symbolism of portraiture. We’ve provided everything you need to get started straight away.
What they’ll learn
- Draw a portrait using the correct proportions
- Complete a ‘split face’ self-portrait using a photo
- Create a portrait from a range of unusual objects
- Use different pencils to create a range of tones
- Create a portrait inspired by Picasso
- Use colour to portray emotions
- Recognise symbolism in portraits
This download contains:
- Full PDF medium term plan
- Sentence starters
- Additional resources
- Art KS2 – explore urban life in this six-week unit
- Art lesson KS1 – The Tiger Who Came to Tea
- Viking Boy: The Real Story – Books for topics KS2
- KS2 art ideas – Learn about William Morris and the Victorians in this medium-term plan
- Books for topics KS2 – Use Letters from the Lighthouse by Emma Carroll when studying World War 2 and the blitz