PDF medium term plan; 2 x design templates; 1 x mood board template
Think outside the box with these KS2 art curriculum ideas, and introduce your class to the wonders of fashion design.
Fashion truly is an artform; from practical items that launched decades-long trends like denim jeans, to the modern displays of architectural ensembles at the Met Gala.
The clothes we put on our bodies not only keep us warm and covered, but can also express elements of our identity to those that don’t even know us.
Encourage and excite the future designers in your class with this six-week series of art lessons focused on the colourful and unique world of clothing design.
In this learning sequence, pupils will develop an understanding of the thought processes and design thinking skills associated with this creative career.
Additionally, they will design a spectacular outfit for a chosen celebrity to wear to an event of their choice!
KS2 art curriculum
The national curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design
- Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and
cultural development of their art forms.
Throughout this six-week plan, children will learn to:
- Know what fashion design is and what a fashion designer’s job entails.
- Create an outfit mood board and exercise some principles of ‘design thinking.’
- Design a fabric swatch and create a colour palette.
- Create fashion illustration outfit designs including a front and back view.
- Design complementary accessories for an outfit.
- Create branding designs for their fashion house, including a name and logo.
Adele Darlington is an EYFS teacher and art lead in Rutland. She is also the author of 100 ideas for primary teachers: art published by Bloomsbury. Follow Adele on Twitter @mrs_darl. Browse more KS2 art ideas.