These fun and engaging French games are perfect for five-minute starters or plenaries. They have been devised specifically for busy teachers with limited resources, budget and planning time, who want simple and effective ideas to use in the classroom.
These French games cover core aspects of the primary French curriculum and allow learners to absorb and explore language in a variety of mediums, building up skills, knowledge and confidence in the process.
The straightforward, no-tech suggestions are based on sound pedagogy and years of classroom experience. You can adapt these flexible French games to suit any topic and any ability level.
This free French games download contains five distinct activities.
- Line bingo: a variation of traditional bingo
- Liar!: the aim of the game is for pupils to repeat sentences only when they think they are true
- Running dictation: reconstruct a text by dictating chunks of it to each other. This game works with any topic and at any level and revises vocabulary, grammar and spelling, as well as practising all four skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing)
- Sound tennis: this is a classroom game involving a tennis ball or soft toy. It aims to get pupils to listen and produce sounds accurately
- King (or Queen) Parrot: the aim of this game is to provide pupils with the opportunity to learn and practise short phonetic French rhymes in a fun way
This is an extract from Games for Teaching Primary French by Danièle Bourdais and Sue Finnie.