PDF medium term plan, worksheets, PowerPoints and teaching notes
In this six-week series of STEM lessons, pupils will learn about six simple machines and how they transfer force from one place to another.
They will then carry out an investigation into how much force it takes to move a load up an inclined plane and build their own simple pulley, mini catapult and toy car.
To save you time, we’ve provided everything you’ll need to follow the plan, including worksheets and PowerPoints. Raid your cupboard for a few extra resources such as paper cups, string and paperclips.
- Understand that machines transfer force from one place to another
- Identify uses for six simple machines
- Build and investigate inclined planes
- Use the terms ‘load’ and ‘force’
- Build and investigate fixed pulleys and systems of pulleys
- Explore how pulleys change the direction of a force and make lifting easier
- Investigate levers and fulcrums
- Identify and compare machines that are powered by the wheel turning or the axle turning
- Use knowledge of simple machines to design a compound machine
This download contains
- Full PDF medium term plan
- Teaching notes
Laura Cross is a former primary teacher. She set up Inventors & Makers. in 2019 and runs workshops and classes focusing on STEM, design and 21st-century skills. Follow Laura on Twitter at @inventorsm.