Eight-page PDF of questions, plus solutions
These equivalent fractions Year 6 SATs questions will help to test and extend students’ understanding. They’ll also help them to prepare for their exams.
The questions have fully-worked solutions. Display these on a whiteboard to make feedback with students more efficient.
Example equivalent fractions Year 6 questions
- We’ve divided each of these diagrams into equal parts and have shaded some of the parts. Write the letters of all the diagrams that have exactly 1/2 shaded. Which of the diagrams has exactly 1/3 shaded?
- Sarah has a packet of balloons. The contents of the packet are: 5 red balloons, 5 blue balloons, 10 yellow balloons. Sarah says one-quarter of the balloons are red. Is Sarah correct? Explain how you know.
- Write the two missing values to make these equivalent fractions correct.
- Two of the fractions here are equivalent. Circle them.
- Complete these fractions to make each equivalent to 3/5.
- Each of these diagrams is divided into equal sections. Shade three-quarters of each diagram.
David Morse has been a maths teacher for over 30 years, as well as an examiner. Find more resources in his TES shop and at his website. Follow him on Twitter at @maths4everyone. Browse more of our free SATs resources.