Three-page PDF, including instructions
This Top Trumps-style game for the annual RSPB Birdwatch features common birds that you are likely to see in your school grounds.
Compare wingspan, weight, number of eggs laid and where the bird featured in last year’s Big Garden Birdwatch.
Instructions for this RSPB Birdwatch game
- Shuffle your cards. Deal them out face down to all players. The cards must be shared as equally as possible.
- Each player only looks at their top card. The player to the dealer’s left reads out one of the facts (for example, “weight 125 g”) from their top card.
- The other players then read out the same fact and score from their top cards. Look at the “Which bird wins?” table to find out more about each fact category, and to decide which card wins.
- The winning player takes all the losing cards from the other players and puts them at the bottom of their pile.
- The winner of the first round then looks at their next card and picks a fact to read out (for example, “Wingspan, 25 cm”), and the game repeats.
- If two or more players share the same top score then all the cards from that round are placed in the middle and the player who chose the fact picks another to read out.
- The winner of that fact round takes the other players’ losing cards, as well as the cards from the middle. The game continues.
- Players who lose all their cards are out. The person with all the cards at the end is the Big Card RSPB Birdwatch winner!