These activity sheets have been created to match the small steps on the White Rose maths schemes of work.
The questions include varied fluency with reasoning with problem solving, and an additional sheet with extension activities.
Children are given a variety of pictorial examples to work with and questions to provoke deeper thinking.
National Curriculum Links
Year 1 Number – Addition and Subtraction
- Represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts within 20.
- Add and subtract 1-digit and 2-digit numbers to 20, including zero.
- Read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition (+), subtraction (–) and equals (=) signs.
- Children will add two single-digit numbers that total more than 10, by breaking one number into two parts to bridge the 10.
- Children will deepen their understanding and proficiency in adding two single-digit numbers by bridging 10.
- Children can decide which partitions to use to add by making 10.
- Children can represent the process using ten frames, bead strings and number lines.
- Children build on their knowledge of commutativity and see that it does not matter which number comes first when using this strategy.