NLWA explain why their new online collection of resources is the perfect tool for busy primary schools seeking to teach the importance of waste prevention…
The North London Waste Authority Education Hub brings together internal and external resources aiming to encourage waste prevention education within primary schools.
The Hub features a host of engaging resources varying from videos to lesson guides, assembly plans and handbooks, organised under six categories: ‘the journey of waste’, ‘food’, ‘clothing’, ‘composting’, and ‘take action for the environment’.
1. Why is this resource suitable for busy primary schools?
North London Waste Authority (NLWA) carried out research in 2022 with Keep Britain Tidy which set out to identify priority areas of interest and gaps relating to waste prevention education in north London.
NLWA brought together a selection of fantastic resources to enable teachers to either utilise existing lesson plans on the topic or use the resources to design their own lessons – it really is simple!
2. How does the Hub fit with the national curriculum?
The resources on the Hub have strong links to the national curriculum, including English, science, geography, citizenship, and art and design, making it easy for teachers and home school tutors to integrate environmental and waste prevention education into the syllabus.
3. What’s on the Hub?
The Hub contains lesson plans, videos, activities, workshops, and assembly plans on a wide range of subjects around waste prevention and sustainability.
For example, one lesson could be on the history of waste within the UK, and another could assist pupils in delving into their bins to find out what is being disposed of within their school – a great interactive task that encourages children to realise the importance of reducing, reusing, and recycling waste.
4. What if there isn’t anything on the Hub that’s right for my school?
Simple – let us know! We’ve designed a feedback form for schools to tell us if something is missing, or if you feel that something else needs to be included.
We will regularly check the feedback and update the Hub accordingly.
5. Where can I access the Hub?
- The Education Hub contains links to ready-to-go lessons, videos, and activities on waste prevention and sustainability
- We conduct continuous research that will regularly inform the Hub
- The Hub has links to the national curriculum, and all resources will be checked to ensure that they are fit for purpose
- The North London Waste Authority Education Hub is free to use and, although targeted at north London primary schools, is open to any primary school